1) Download a PDF of the 2019 tentative schedule by clicking the link (<-- that one) or the big green button below.
2) Get the summary of some of the cool things we're doing this year for SwingTime 2019 by scrolling below.
The SwingTime Summary
We're going to time travel to the past, the future, and the present all in one weekend. Who knows...you might even experience a time travel paradox along the way!
We are going to have:
Designed to Accelerate Your Growth as a Dancer
1) Intensives (These are separately ticketed)
- Intensive #1: "Bad @$$ WCS Footwork" w/Kyle Redd & Sarah Vann Drake
- Intensive #2: "Competitors Intensive: Practicing for Performance Under Pressure" w/Myles & Tessa Cunningham Munroe
Registration is now open for intensives!
2) Leveled Workshops with No Auditions (included with your weekend pass): Material taught will be geared towards WSDC competitor level
Most of our WCS workshops are leveled based on WSDC points.
However, we understand that many dancers don't compete but they dance at a higher level then Novice.
Here's how it's going to work:
We won't have auditions. However, we will have two rotations in each workshop (class size permitting):
1) The "main rotation" for dancers who qualify based on WSDC points to be in the class. This group is allowed to ask the instructor questions.
2) The "Audit rotation" for dancers who wish to "experience" the class but who don't qualify based on WSDC points. This group is NOT allowed to ask instructor questions. Ex: Social dancer who feels they dance at the Advanced level.
You may also choose to take a leveled workshop lower then your WSDC level and you can do so in the "main rotation." Ex: Adv. dancer who wishes to attend an Int. level or Nov. level workshop can do so in the "main rotation."
If the class size becomes too large for the workshop room (ex: Conference Room 6 workshops), the WSDC qualified competitors would take first priority. If it's too small to have two rotations, the instructor may combine the rotations.
We will be using temporary tattoos to designate WSDC level instead of different colored wristbands.
SwingTime did this last year and it was well received. We feel it's a good alternative to doing auditions which sometimes result in hurt feelings.
Note: This leveled workshop model is the brainchild of Demetre Souliotes & Chuck Brown who run The After Party - A West Coast Swing Experience. It's an awesome event in December you check out. Demetre will have a few workshops at SwingTime and he's also available for private lessons!
3) Solo Tracks (included with your weekend pass): You often hear instructors say, if you want to get better at WCS, go learn other solo dances! Well, now is your chance! We will have a Hip Hop workshop with Victoria & Tashina this year and a Contemporary workshop with Tara Trafzer. These workshops are designed to challenge you as a solo dancer.
5) Masters 50+ Workshop track (included with your weekend pass): We've added workshops geared towards masters (50+) social dancers and competitors. Each workshop will be taught by a different instructor and there will be one masters workshop offered per day during the event.
4) Early Riser Classes (included with your weekend pass) - Example: Triple Stretch by Fit for the Floor
Epic Social Dancing
- The best DJs on the WCS circuit ready to keep you social dancing until the wee hours for 4 days!
- Thursday Night: Free workshop and free late night social dancing
- Friday Night Theme - Time Travel to the Past: Travel back to whatever time period you want! We recommend wearing time period appropriate clothing so others don’t know you’re from 2019. Some ideas to get you started: T-Rex, Cave-people, medieval King/Queen, 1800s, 1920/50/60/70/80/90, etc. Or go in a different direction and dress up as a time traveler from any time travel movie or any movie character from the past! (Google is your friend!)
- Time Travel Costume Contest: Best costume during the Friday night dance gets a free pass to SwingTime 2020.
- Saturday Night Theme - Travel to the Future “Black Light Glow Dance”: Travel to any time period in the future you wish! Imagine hundreds of dancers from the future all came together for one epic black-light West Coast Swing dance. What year are you from? Who will you be? Think of all the movie characters from the future (Blade Runner, 12 Monkeys, 2001 Space Odyssey, Demolition Man, Back the Future II, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc….Google is your friend!). We will have black lights running and a “Glow Bar” with free supplies to help get your glow on. If you have clothing that glows under black light, throw it in your suitcase!
- Sunday Night: Social dancing until at least 3 am!!
Competitions for Everyone!
- Fun Comps - Open Footwork Strictly Battle (available to all levels but Champion), One Foot Spin Strictly Contest, Invitational Footwork Battle, Time Traveler's All-American JnJ, and Switch It Up JnJ (switch dance roles).
- WSDC JnJ: Juniors, Newcomer, Novice, Intermediate, Masters, Advanced, All-Star, and Champions.
- Strictly: Novice, Intermediate, Masters, Advanced, & All-Star
- Pro-Am divisions: Pro JnJ, Pro-am Strictly, Pro-am Routines
- Routines: Pro-Am, Rising Star, Showcase, Classic (Note: We are no longer affiliated with NASDE)